How can I protect myself?
The best way to protect yourself from COVID-19 is to avoid being exposed to the virus. COVID-19 is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person. To avoid being exposed:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you have been in a public place or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- Use a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not readily available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, mose and mouth.
- Put at least 6 feet of distance between yourself and people who don’t live in your household.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
- Wear a mask when around others. Children under 2 or anyone who has trouble breathing or is incapacitated should not wear a mask.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily.
For more information about how to protect yourself, see the CDC’s How to Protect Yourself & Others.
See also: Prevent getting sick