Can lycra (Spandex or elastane), the cloth used to make swimsuits, be used to make cloth masks?
CDC does not yet have evidence on the effectiveness of different types of cloth materials.
Wearing cloth masks can help prevent people infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 from spreading the virus. Make sure your cloth mask:
- fits snugly but comfortably against the side of the face,
- completely covers the nose and mouth,
- is secured with ties or ear loops,
- includes multiple layers of fabric,
- allows for breathing without restriction, and
- can be laundered and machine dried without damage or change to shape.
Cloth masks should NOT be worn by children less than 2 years old or anyone who has trouble breathing or is unconscious, incapacitated, or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance. Learn more about how to wear, take off, and wash your cloth masks.
See also: Prevent getting sick