Skip to main content

What do I do if I can't pay my rent?

Your landlord may be agreeable to temporary changes in your payments including rent reductions and delayed payments. In addition, your city, county or state may have programs to help you with these expenses.

If your home or apartment building has a mortgage backed by Freddie Mac or Fannie Mae you may now get three months of rental relief without fear of eviction. If your building qualifies, the owner can seek temporary mortgage relief. In turn, they must pass the relief on to renters. They can’t evict you for failing to pay your rent during that period. Check with your property manager or building owner for more information.

Last updated April 24, 2020
Source: U.S. Department of the Treasurylinks to external site

See also: Food, housing, and education assistance