Whitehouse Centers for Disease Control and Prevention US Department of Homeland Security - Federal Emergency Management Agency

What do I do if I get a rash or other reaction to hand sanitizer?

Call your doctor if you experience a serious reaction to hand sanitizer. FDA encourages consumers and health care professionals to report adverse events experienced with the use of hand sanitizers to the FDA’s MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program:

  • Complete and submit the report online; or
  • Download and complete the form, then submit it via fax at 1-800-FDA-0178.
  • Include as much information as you can about the product that caused the reaction, including the product name, the manufacturer, and the lot number (if available).

See Safely Using Hand Sanitizer for more information.

Last updated April 15, 2020
Source: U.S. Food & Drug Administrationlinks to external site

See also: Cleaning, disinfecting, and sanitizing